Recent Posts

Watch CB14 Meetings Online

CB14 is Online! Watch live streamed and archived meetings on CB14's YouTube Channel. Send an email to to request a Webex link to participate in a meeting or to be added to our mailing list.

CB14 Newsletter

Check out CB14’s monthly newsletter with information about meetings, special events and more! Subscribe to the CB14 monthly newsletter by entering your email below. You will receive an email to confirm your subscription. If you don’t receive one remember to check your spam folder.

Visit is a great resource for everything you need to know about New York City! Click this link to sign up for email updates from participating NYC agencies.

Contact CB14

Call 718-859-6357 or email to join our mailing list or for assistance with questions, concerns or complaints regarding a City agency. We're on Twitter & YouTube.

Street Activity Event Information

Community District 14 is host to at least 60 street activity events a year. These events (which must be sponsored by a local organization or group,) help make the Flatbush and Midwood communities more vibrant and enjoyable places to live. Before planning your event, it is always a good idea to call our office first to make sure your event date is available. A limited number of events are permitted per day within the district.

All activities or events that interfere with or obstruct normal use of streets or sidewalks must be permitted. These events include street festivals, block parties, farmers markets, commercial or promotional events, and other events on the City’s streets, sidewalks and pedestrian plazas. Permits are issued by the Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO) under the Mayor’s Citywide Events Coordination & Management (CECM) Office, after receiving a recommendation from the Community Board. Permit applications are available to the public online by visiting E-Apply, SAPO’s electronic application system. If you are unable to apply online, you can call the SAPO office at (212) 788-0025, Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM EST.

Having trouble with the City Permit website? Community Board 14 is here to help! You can call our office at (718) 859-6357 for assistance or to schedule an appointment with a staff member who can walk you through the application process at the Community Board office.

The District Office prepares and regularly updates a calendar of all permitted street activity events in the district. To obtain a copy, contact the District office.


SAPO issues permits for the following activities. Please click on the links below for more information about rules, application deadlines, sponsor requirements & additional information.  Please note that application deadlines differ depending on the type of street event you host. Make sure to check the deadlines on the SAPO website to ensure that you apply for your permit in time to host your event. Click here to view all available permits, with basic information about each. Click here to view a list of all permits with deadline applications for each. Failure to submit your application by the specified deadline will result in an automatic denial of the permit by SAPO.

While anyone is able to file a permit application online, the permit must be issued to a Sponsor, who will be fully responsible for the conduct of the event. A Sponsor can be a community-based, not-for-profit organization, association, or the like, which has a close relationship to the community and street where the event will be taking place. Examples of sponsors include block or community associations, religious or civic organizations, merchant associations, business improvement districts, and other not-for-profit corporations. The Sponsor must demonstrate that it has the support of the community. Community Board 14 requires that the sponsor complete a petition with a majority of the property owners of that block consenting to the event.


SAPO permits all street activity events, but other agencies may require additional permitting, depending on the activity. For information about additional permits, contact the agency directly by calling 3-1-1. Examples of some additional permits/licenses you may require for your street activity event are:

Department of Buildings (DOB): You must obtain a DOB permit if you intend to build a stage over two feet tall or erect a temporary structure over 10 feet tall. Also if your event expects 200 or more people to gather in a tent outdoors, then you must also obtain a DOB Temporary Place of Assembly permit. Learn more about DOB.

Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA):  If you are hosting an event with inflatables or with vendors selling merchandise or food and operating rides or games of chance, you will need to secure a DCA permit. Learn more about DCA.

The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP): If you are interested using a fire hydrant or a generator over 40kw for your event, you must obtain a permit from the Department of Environmental Protection. Learn more about DEP.

New York City Fire Department (FDNY): When your event uses dangerous flammable materials such as fuel, generators, or pyrotechnics, you must obtain a permit from FDNY. Learn more about FDNY.

Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH): If your event will serve food or will have petting zoos, pony rides, and other animal exhibits, a permit from DOHMH is required. Learn more about DOHMH.

New York City Police Department (NYPD): If you are organizing a parade or procession, you will need a permit from NYPD. When using amplified sound for a musical performance or speaking program, you will also need to obtain a sound permit from the NYPD. You can also acquire “No Parking” signs from your local NYPD precinct. Learn more about the NYPD.

Department of Sanitation (DSNY): While DSNY does not issue permits, this City agency is a vital part of event coordination. The department is given the necessary applications to facilitate its own planning, while also taking responsibility for billing sponsors well in advance for personnel and equipment that will be necessary for the clean up after an event. Learn more about DSNY.

Department of Transportation (DOT): When using oversized trucks, cranes, electrical wiring, horse drawn carriages, and banners for an event, you are required to obtain a DOT permit. DOT also has the authority to temporarily remove street lights or street signs, as well as bollards, the vertical posts that prevent vehicle access, for events. Learn more about DOT.

Human Resources Administration (HRA): When soliciting funds for charitable purposes in the City of New York, you are required to secure a permit from HRA. You must also obtain a permit if you are non-profit organization participating as a vendor in a street fair. Learn more about HRA.

The State Department of Health (SDOH): If you are applying for a permit for a public event where peak attendance will reach 5,000 attendees, you are required to apply for a permit from the New York State Department of Health. Learn more about SDOH.

The New York State Liquor Authority (SLA): If your event includes selling or distributing alcohol, you must have a special event permit from The New York State Liquor Authority (SLA). Learn more about SLA.

Please visit the NYC Office of Citywide Event Coordination & Management at for more information and answers to most frequently asked questions.