Church Avenue Sidewalks And Neckdowns Project
Location: Church Avenue (from Coney Island Avenue to Flatbush Ave; plus intersection of Church Ave & McDonald Ave)
Managing Agency: Department of Design & Construction (DDC)
Expected Start Date: February 2017
Expected Date of Completion: Spring 2018
Work Hours: Mon-Fri – 7AM to 6PM; Sat-Sun- 8AM to 6PM
Project # HWKP2027
On/about the week of February 13, 2017 the NYC Department of Design and Construction (DDC) will begin work operations for Reconstruction of Church Avenue Project HWKP2027 between Coney Island Avenue and Flatbush Avenue in Community Board 14 and McDonald Avenue intersection of Community Board 12 of Brooklyn. This project has an anticipated completion date of spring 2018.
Work Scheduled For Winter 2017
Some preliminary work activities are slated to occur in the interim prior to the full commencement of construction actives. These activities include:
- Excavation of test pits
- Tree Removal and installation of tree guards
- Implementation of Maintenance and Protection of Traffic Plan (MPT)
What Work Will Be Done?
- Installation of Watermain
- Installation of Catch Basins
- Installation of Sidewalk and Curb
- Incidental Work
Special Traffic Configuration:
Due to the width of Church Avenue between Coney Island Avenue and Flatbush Avenue, a conversion will take in effect at a later date from two-way traffic to one-way traffic. This conversion is necessary to facilitate the work operations noted above, to ensure the safety of the residents, motorists and the workers. Notification will be distributed prior to the conversion.
Where Will Work Be Performed And Hours Of Operations?
Work operation will occur on Church Avenue bordered by Coney Island Avenue and Flatbush Avenue area of Brooklyn. Typical work hours will be Mondays through Fridays from 7:00AM to 6:00PM; Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00am to 6:00pm. Nighttime work may be necessary between the hours of 8:00PM to 6:00AM; advance notice will be provided.
What Are The Community Impacts?
The DDC is committed to maintaining a work site that is safe and clean. However, dust, noise and heavy equipment are common elements of construction and we ask for your patience during the project. There may be limited street access on certain blocks. However, deliveries to commercial and residential properties and emergency vehicle access will be allowed. In addition, the DDC will be baiting the construction zone on a regular basis to control rodent populations.
Student Pick-Up/Drop Off
- Where construction impacts school pick-up and drop-off areas, the DDC will coordinate with the NYC Department of Education (NYCDOE) and school officials to ensure these locations are safe, clearly marked and maintained.
- Pedestrian access – to buildings will be maintained at all times.
- Street closures/Traffic detours – partial closures and/or limited access of intersections and streets. Half-block closures may be necessary. In the event of half-block closures, the street will be closed to through-traffic, but emergency vehicle access will be allowed. Signs will be posted.
- Vehicular access – may be restricted on certain streets in certain locations.
- Parking – will be temporarily restricted so construction may proceed. Signs will
be posted where necessary.
- Driveway/loading dock access – may be temporarily restricted.
- Bus Relocation – where and when necessary, buses may be detoured in/around the work zones.
Water Service Interruptions:
During the course of this project, temporary water service disruptions will be necessary in order to replace the water mains. If it is necessary for the DDC to turn off your water service, you will receive written notice by 4:00PM the day before service interruption. Water service will be restored everyday by 6:00PM. If additional shut downs are required you will receive a new notice daily until work is completed.
Who To Contact For More Information?
In an effort to keep the community informed and identify and resolve any issues that may arise during construction, the DDC has assigned Mr. Ahmed Oun of CES Consultants as the Community Construction Liaison (CCL). Please contact Mr. Oun for all project related inquiries/concerns or to be added to the e-mail distribution list.
Address: 15 Westminster Road Brooklyn, New York 11218
If there is a concern during non-construction hours, please call the New York City Government Services and Information Hotline at 311.