Ditmas Park and Ditmas Park West
Ditmas Park, now a New York City historic district, was created in 1902 and is its own neighborhood within Flatbush. Developed by builder Lewis H. Pounds and architect Arlington Isham, Ditmas Park was unusual in that all of its sewers, sidewalks, paved streets, and landscaping were designed before a single home was constructed. The development team even had the area graded so that the planned community would have level, smooth land. Ditmas Park is filled with freestanding, single-family homes with wide front lawns. Most of the towering shade trees that line the streets were planted when the neighborhood was built.Some of the most spectacular of the neighborhood’s 175 homes are on Ocean Avenue, and East 16th Street has the longest row of bungalow-type houses in Brooklyn, all built in 1908 and 1909. After completing Ditmas Park. Pounds built Ditmas Park West, a mirror neighborhood, on the opposite side of the Brighton railroad tracks (now the subway line).