Community Events« Previous Entries
The filing deadline to submit your taxes is Tuesday, April 18th, 2017. Many local resources are available in Brooklyn to help you successfully prepare and submit your taxes at no cost to you. Continue reading to find out about local services offering free tax preparation assistance. Additional Information is available at nyc.gov/taxprep or by calling 311. (more…)
- Free VITA Tax Preparation Services – Jan. 24 – Apr. 18, 1368 Fulton St.
- Prom Dress & Suit Drive – Feb. 8 – April 10, Borough Hall
- City Council Participatory Budgeting Week - Mar. 25-Apr. 2, Brooklyn
- Free Breast Cancer Screening – Mar. 29, 30 Third Ave.
- NYPD 70th Pct Community Council Mtg. – Mar. 29, 175 Lawrence Ave.
- Free Breast Cancer Screening - Mar. 30, 250 Kingston Ave.
- Quality of Life Town Hall – Mar. 30, 2902 Kings Hwy.
- Women’s History Month Celebration - Mar. 30, Borough Hall
- CEC22 Zoning Outreach Meeting – Mar. 30, 2200 Gravesend Neck Rd.
- Passover Food Distribution – Mar. 30, 3014 Brighton 6th St.
- Bronx UFT College Fair – Mar. 31, Bronx UFT Office
- Bike Commuting 101 Workshop – Mar. 31, 1368 Fulton St.
- Colon Cancer Awareness Event – Mar. 31, 1545 Atlantic Ave.
- Free Mammograms & Breast Cancer Screening – Apr. 1, 378 Throop Ave.
- SAFE Disposal Event – Apr. 2, Prospect Park Circle
- FEMA Region II Shelter-in-Place Workshop – Apr. 3, 26 Federal Plaza, NYC
- Marketing Your Nonprofit Organization – Apr. 4, 110 William St.
- Brooklyn Town Hall: Deed Fraud & Abuse – Apr. 5, 1368 Fulton St.
- Passover Food Distribution – Apr. 5, 3001 West 37th St.
- Financial Education Forum – Apr. 5-19, Borough Hall
- CEC17 Town Hall with Chancellor Fariña - Apr. 6, 655 Parkside Ave.
- Key to the City: Family Resource Day – Apr. 8, 1001 E. 45 St.
- Free Breast Cancer Screening – Apr. 8, 592 Rockaway Ave.
- Free Breast Cancer Screening – Apr. 9, 1410 Coney Island Ave.
- The Financially Savvy Youth Expo - Apr. 13, Borough Hall
- Grant Writing for Nonprofits – Apr. 13, 110 William St.
-Begin Again: Resolve Warrants & Summons – Apr. 14, 21 Tompkins Ave.
- Begin Again: Resolve Warrants & Summons – Apr. 15, 21 Tompkins Ave.
- Comptroller’s Flatbush Town Hall – Apr. 18, 1367 Utica Ave.
- Brooklyn DA Immigration Forum – Apr. 23, 449 Eastern Pkwy.
- One-on-One Assistance Clinic – Apr. 25, Borough Hall
- Nonprofit Marketing Workshop – Apr. 25, 110 William St.
- E-Waste Recycling Event – Apr. 29, 1415 Cortelyou Rd.
- Girls Glam Beauty & Wellness Day - May 5, 509 Atlantic Ave.
- Nonprofit Finance & Budget Workshop – May 11, 110 William St.
- Nonprofit Social Media & Event Marketing – May 16, 110 William St.
- DOB Homeowner & Tenant Info Night - Every Tues, 4-7 PM, Borough Hall
- FREE LEGAL AID - Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs, Borough Hall
*Click Here to see schedules for types of legal assistance provided including Veterans’ Issues, Housing Matters, Foreclosure Prevention, Domestic Violence & Family Law.
- SCORE NYC Small Business Mentoring- Mon-Thurs, Borough Hall
- Free SNAP Benefit Assistance – Every Tues/Wed @ 123 Linden Blvd.
- Job Postings: Are you looking for a job in the neighborhood or in NYC? New jobs are posted on CB14′s Jobs webpage weekly!
- Workforce 1 Job Recruitment Events – Hiring for Jobs Every Day!
- Job Training Programs: CB14 lists hundreds of career training programs on our website from Medical to Construction, Tech to Green Industry jobs – and more!
- Brooklyn Public Library events – Ongoing, various locations
- NEW Youth Scholarship & Internship postings!
CLICK HERE to find your local polling station & preview your ballot. If you have any questions, call the the NYC Board of Elections Phone Bank at 1-866-VOTE-NYC (1-866-868-3692) or e-mail your complete home address to firstname.lastname@example.org. All voting related forms are available in multiple languages online in or by calling 311.
Senator Kevin Parker’s 8th Annual Job Fair will be held on TUESDAY, JULY 28, 2015, 10 AM – 3 PM, at the Brooklyn College Student Center (map link). This event is free and open to the public. Meet representatives from federal, state, city, private and non-profit agencies. There will be job readiness workshops including resume building, interview techniques and training and more. Click Here to see Event Flyer. For more information, contact State Senator Kevin S. Parker’s district office at (718) 629-6401. (Click here to see information about other upcoming job fairs.)
Community residents are invited to attend Community Board 14′s Annual Reception on Tuesday, June 16th from 6-9 PM. Join us as we welcome our new Community Board members and recognize the excellence of our public servants and community leaders. Refreshments will be served. The event will be held at the CB14 District Office (810 East 16th Street, Brooklyn 11230.) Please RSVP to 718-859-6357 or email@example.com.
Date: WEDESDAY, MAY 13th, 2015
Time: 3 PM – 6 PM
Location: BROOKLYN BOROUGH HALL
209 Joralemon St, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Click Here to See Job Fair Flyer!
Job seekers are invited to bring resumes and apply for positions at some of New York City’s major businesses. Some of the companies looking to hire new employees at the event include All Car Rent-A-Car, Applebee’s, the Brooklyn Nets, Duane Reade, FC Modular, Forest City Ratner Companies, The Home Depot, Maimonides Medical Center, Midwood Ambulance Service, Modell’s Sporting Goods, NYC Bike Share, Santander Bank, Sheraton Brooklyn, Target, TerraCRG, and Urban Pads. For more information, contact Brooklyn Borough Hall at (718) 802-3700.
Click Here to see Job Fair Flyer. CAMBA is hiring Outreach Workers. Full time positions are available with excellent benefits and competitive salaries. For more information, CLICK HERE or contact CAMBA at (718) 284-5108.
City agencies & departments will provide information about city services and how to access them. Some agencies will include HRA (food stamp/Medicare coverage assistance,) USPS, Maimonedes Medical Center (free blood pressure screening), Brooklyn Housing & Family Services (landlord/tenant issues,) National Grid, Department of the Aging, Department of Finance (property violations,) Department of Sanitation, NYLAG (legal advice,) NYPD, FDNY & more. For more information contact Ellyn at 718-253-2015.
There are many children in foster care in need of a safe and loving home. MercyFirst presents a community event that hopes to inspire individuals to make a difference in a child’s life. As a prospective foster parent, you will have the opportunity to meet with and discuss foster care with professionals, along with foster and adoptive parents. To register or for more information, call 718-232-1500 (ext. 219 for Jennifer Hayes or ext. 212 for Jenilee Fuertes.) Click here to see event flyer.
DATE: TUESDAY, MARCH 24, 2015
LOCATION: PS 193 (2515 Avenue L, at Bedford Avenue)
TIME: 7:00 – 9:30pm
Click Here to see Event Flyer.
The public is invited to attend a Community Fire Safety Training & Free Smoke Detector Giveaway. The event will include speeches from local elected officials, a Fire Safety Presentation by the FDNY and a Trauma Counseling Presentation by Dr. Norman Blumenthal of Ohel. For more information, call Councilmember Chaim Deutsch’s office at 718-368-9176.
The New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) created the Homeowner’s Guide to Flood Preparedness in an effort to help you protect your home and valuables against flooding from heavy rainfall and sewer backups. The guide offers helpful tips on a variety of flooding solutions and explains some of the most common causes of flooding. Click Here to view the guide. (more…)
DATE:Wednesday, March 25, 2015
LOCATION: Restoration Plaza (1368 Fulton St, Brooklyn)
Pre-Register at http://on.nyc.gov/bizfinancingpanel
Learn how to present your small business to lenders to access capital. Whether you just launched a startup or you are ready to expand your business, this event will give you insights on what it takes to get the financing you need for your small business. This event is hosted by the NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) and the Small Business Committee of the New York City Council. Click Here to see Event Flyer.
Click Here for Event Flyer. Topics to be addressed include: threat and hazard awareness, planning for and avoiding a disaster, and reacting to an emergency situation. For more information, Council Member Deutsch’s office at 718-368-9176.
The community is invited to attend a Town Hall Meeting about the State Budget, Education & Mass Transit.
DATE: Wednesday, March 4, 2015, 6:30 – 8:30 PM
LOCATION: P.S. 139 (330 Rugby Road, Brooklyn)
Visit event sponsor Assemblyman Jim Brennan’s website or call 718-788-7221 for more information.
Experience the revitalized Kings Theatre on a guided walking tour through the restored space. See the Grand Lobby, Auditorium and Mezzanine from several vantage points and learn about the history of the Kings on Flatbush Avenue. (more…)
Click to View Flyer. The Office of the Brooklyn Borough President Eric L. Adams will be hosting a non-profit capital budget overview with New York City’s Department of Design + Construction on Thursday, February 5th at 6 PM. Topics covered will include, but are not limited to: eligibility criteria, the application process, and best practices. If you have questions for FY 2016 capital funding or want to build capacity for future capital budget cycles you are encouraged to attend. To RSVP, call 718-802-3531. (more…)
Where: Assemblyman Jim Brennan’s Office
1414 Cortelyou Road, Brooklyn
When: Tuesday, December 16th, 3-7 PM
Click Here to see Event Flyer.
Stop in to register your phone & other electronics with officers from NYPD’s 70th Precinct. You can also drop off new unwrapped toys for the Toys For Tots Drive, pick up a Cortelyou coupon book & enjoy some hot cider & cookies.
Event: An Evening of Vivaldi; 74th Annual Candlelight Vespers
Where: Flatbush Tompkins Congregational Church (424 East 19th Street, Brooklyn 11226)
When: Sunday, December 7, 2014, 5 PM
Please click here to see the event flyer.
For more information, please call 718-282-5353.
Brooklyn Borough President Eric L. Adams invites the community to attend a Town Hall Meeting this evening to address concerns regarding the recent increase in criminal activity in our community, especially against our small businesses. The Borough President will be joined by local elected officials, community leaders and officers from the NYPD’s 70th Precinct.
Location: Kensington Public Library
4207 18th Ave at Seton Place, Brooklyn 11218
Date: Tuesday, November 18th, 2014
Time: 1 PM – 4:30 PM
SNAP specialists from the Council of Senior Centers & Services (CSCS) will be available to answer questions about the SNAP (food stamp) program and eligibility guidelines. They can assist with and submit SNAP applications for applicants and help with Change Reports and Recertification. Call the AARP hotline at 877-926-8300 to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins are welcome. If you are unable to attend the event but would like assistance, call the CSCS SNAP Outreach Office at 347-815-5930 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click Here to see event flyer. Kings County Hospital Center will host a Community Education Forum on Ebola on Wednesday November 19, 2014 at 6:00 p.m. at 451 Clarkson Avenue in the T Building Auditorium. The featured speaker will be Ghassan Jamaleddine,MD, Chief Medical Officer. The public is invited to participate in this important forum. Please share this information with friends, family & colleagues. Contact Daphnee Champagne, Associate Director of Community Affairs, Kings County Hospital Center, at 718-245-3228 with any questions.
Date: November 15th & 16th, 2014
Time: 11 AM – 5 PM
Location: Victorian Flatbush, Brooklyn
(Click Here to see Open Studios Map)
Join Flatbush Artists for their annual open studios tour on November 15th & 16th from 11 AM-5 PM. Individual artists will be exhibiting their work in locations around the Ditmas Park neighborhood. For more information, email email@example.com or visit the website at www.flatbushartists.org.
Middle School Admissions Workshop for Fifth Grade Families
DATE: Wednesday, October 22, 2014
TIME: 5:00 – 7:00 PM
LOCATION: P.S. 215, 415 Avenue S, Brooklyn, NY 11223
Click Here to see Event Flyer.
Click Here to see Meeting Agenda.
The New York City Department of Education and Insideschools.org representatives will acquaint families with the middle school application process. Topics will include: admission methods and requirements; types of middle schools; how to fill in the application; and the admissions timeline. The workshop will also provide an excellent opportunity for families to ask questions about District 21 middle school and citywide programs. For more information contact CEC21@schools.nyc.gov« Previous Entries